Tree Men Games
Based in Helsinki, Finland
August 14th 2013
Press / Business Contact:
Tree Men Games
Tree Men Games is a Helsinki based independent game studio founded in 2013. Three guys met while studying game design and some artsy stuff at Aalto ARTS. Even though Helsinki is full of game companies and job possibilities we decided to start our own thing. After that we have been part of Aalto Summer of Startups, recieved a AppCampus award and released Picnic Rumble for Windows Phone. We also got demo funding from AVEK - the promotion centre for audiovisual culture, so a sidescrolling shoot everything that moves game is on the works. Currently we are focusing on PAKO, which is now published for iOS, Android and Windows Phone. Game has been successful so far and we have released two big Map Pack updates for the iOS version. Now we are working on a big update for Android and Windows Phone which will add the content of the Map Packs. Combined downloads of PAKO on all platforms is over 5 million.
PAKO - Car Chase Simulator
PAKO is a one player car chase high score hunt for touch screen devices. The game has five different maps/arenas with unique vehicle for each map. Idea of the game is to escape enemy vehicles as long as possible before you crash or chasers catch you. Controls and the game mechanics are super simple, press left side of your device for turning to left and vice versa, car moves on automatically. Players compete on global online ranking for each map and also for the total time of all the maps. In addition, theres achievements to collect from special manouvres and tricks.
Many people have compared PAKO to Flappy Bird or Retry and it certainly does have some “rage quit” elements. We are really excited about all the possibilities with new fun themes for stages. We take influence from all the best car chases in movie history. Also, new stages make small twists to the basic gameplay: in cemetery there are zombies player can runover to gain more seconds, and on chinese-influenced stage there are tanks that shoot the player.
PAKO launch trailer YouTube
PAKO Map Pack #1 trailer YouTube
PAKO Map Pack #2 trailer YouTube
PewDiePie plays PAKO YouTube
Lonnie plays PAKO YouTube
There are far more images available for Tree Men Games, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Nominee for IMG Awards - Best Quickplay Game" - San Francisco, 2015
- "Nominee for Indie Prize Showcase" - Amsterdam, 2015
- "Nominee for Finnish Mobile Game Awards - Best Small Screen Game" - Helsinki, 2015
- "Nominee for Finnish Mobile Game Awards - Best Rookie Team" - Helsinki, 2015
- "..nails that "one more go" feeling that high score games thrive on."
- Jared Nelson, Touch Arcade
- "The art style and music are really great, and the downtime between rounds is essentially non-existent. PAKO is one of the best quick-play reflex games I have ever played."
- Andrew Fisher, 148 Apps
- "This is a brash, good looking arcade game that tempts you in and then stabs giant hooks into you and refuses to let go."
- Harry Slater, Pocket Gamer
- "PAKO is one of those strange hate/love relationships you seldom encounter and grow to appreciate. You'll hate it for never giving you what you want, which is the very same reason you'll love it."
- Rafael Lemarchand, Arctic Startup
- "I loved PAKO when it released, but this update pushes my love to a whole new level. I really appreciate how Tree Men Games didn't just add new levels and vehicles and call it a day, but they added new types of levels with new features like the racing and the vehicle changing, both of which add tremendously to the gam"
- Jared Nelson, Touch Arcade
- "Thank GOD for PAKO - Car Chase Simulator by Tree Men Games!!!!"
- David Jaffe, Tweet
PAKO soundtrack Vol.1 by DKSTR
"The audio work, which is blessed with addictive, electronic music from Finnish producer DKSTR as well as realistic sound effects, is absolutely sublime. If Ryan Gosling’s character from ‘Drive’ was an app enthusiast, PAKO would probably be in his mobile gaming rotation." - Arcade Sushi dkstr.bandcamp.com.
Helsinki Heroes Interview
Interview of Jussi. helsinkiheroes.com.
Programmer, Game Designer
Producer, Game Designer
Graphics and Music, Game Designer